The place where reasonable people debate things in a civilised way.
Forum rules
- AGREE TO DISAGREE
- no flaming
- no aggression

Who will we vote for?

Postby Starky » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:24 pm

I'm considering voting for the lib dems. Yes, I know, it's vile, I'm vile, I'm sorry, but this is turning into something of a Brexit election, and in my constituency you basically need to choose between the lib dems and SNP because Labour are nowhere there.

I loathe the lib dems and I also despise myself for considering voting for them, but sometimes one needs to put one's personal feelings aside for the greater good. We need a reasonably strong opposition to the Conservatives at Westminster; if we don't get that, they can be as tyrannical as they want, and that's not going to be good for anybody. Labour at the moment I feel uneasy about, and it seems so do a lot of people. 'feel uneasy about' isn't the same as 'don't want to vote for' but when you look at Labour on Brexit it's really a bit of a mess, nobody seems to know who thinks what and why. In other circumstances, I wouldn't be too bothered, but right now somebody needs to get it together to stop that despotic witch ('witch' used jocularly and not as a technical term). Lib dems have some policy together and, more importantly, have a pretty good chance of winning East Dunbartonshire.

I'd justify voting Liberal Democrat because even though as people they are truly grotesque, shameless curs their policies are broadly quite good, and they're a slightly better option than the SNP because although the latter lack that quintessentially lib dem quality of total, servile suggestibility, they seem to have a single-minded obsession with independence at the expense of everything else, and that's a distraction atm. My dad's actually voted lib dem before (arrrrrrgh), but I do wonder when he phones me to confirm he's proxied my vote for Jo Swinson whether I'll be able to control the urge to drown myself in IPA and slit my wrists.

Who do you think you'll vote for? Why? Does it give you as much self-hate as my choice?
Iakobus1 wrote:
smr wrote:This is a thread I wasn't sure was exactly suitable for the "Sports" forum :P

True, but we sadly don't have a "Furious Masturbation" forum.

Brainwave: we should have a "Furious Masturbation" forum.

Jose Mourinho wrote:The style of how we play is very important. But it is omelettes and eggs. No eggs - no omelettes! It depends on the quality of the eggs. In the supermarket you have class one, two or class three eggs and some are more expensive than others and some give you better omelettes. So when the class one eggs are in Waitrose and you cannot go there, you have a problem.

Spoiler: show
Starky
Confirmed Fertile

Highscores: 6

Re: Who will we vote for?

Postby Starky » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:09 pm

This might have been better suited for the Rant Forum's snot-stained twin 'the Politics and IPA Shack'.

The Conservatives are targetting about 6 seats in Scotland according to today's Scotsman online which is pretty depressing. I doubt anywhere much in the west is one of them but we still need to watch out and vote tactically if need be. Cunt Brexit; live long and prosper.
Iakobus1 wrote:
smr wrote:This is a thread I wasn't sure was exactly suitable for the "Sports" forum :P

Jose Mourinho wrote:The style of how we play is very important. But it is omelettes and eggs. No eggs - no omelettes! It depends on the quality of the eggs. In the supermarket you have class one, two or class three eggs and some are more expensive than others and some give you better omelettes. So when the class one eggs are in Waitrose and you cannot go there, you have a problem.

Starky
Confirmed Fertile

Postby Hamwise » Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:44 am

I'll vote for nobody because my electoral registration elapsed years ago.... :?

But I would have to vote SNP, providing I still lived in my old constituency of Paisley and Renfrewshire South. The constituency was once solidly Labour until the rise of the SNP; it's a two-horse race there. I find the SNP to be unnecessarily divisive, focus too strongly on independence, and can't help but resent the fact that had they pushed for devo-max instead of independence from the get-go (I've made this point before I think), a successful referendum on the matter would have been more likely than that of independence, offering meaningful change for Scotland and a chance for Scotland to express its broadly left-centre-leaning political persuasions without feeling too detached from the UK. The fact that they actually believed they stood a chance at securing independence makes you question their overall critical thinking skills as a political party. And I realize I say that with the benefit of ex-Nat hindsight. :roll:

However... the SNP have acted as a reasonably effective, and memorable, left-of-centre opposition to the Tories this term, and are quite proudly pro-EU, whereas nobody has any CUNTING clue where Labour actually stands on the EU. Also, Mhairi Black is a good laugh.

I'd totally vote Lib Dem if I lived in a constituency where they stood an actual chance. What's wrong with the Lib Dems?! I mean, they're totally useless, but they're warm and fuzzy.
#MakeBMGreatAgain

New Zealanders have lapsed "into a lack of passion bordering on inertness". If a New Zealander feels a bout of passion coming on, "he goes and paints a roof". (Gordon McLauchlan)
Hamwise
Michael Lai's Undigested Cookie

Postby Starky » Thu May 04, 2017 2:54 pm

You should register again. It's really easy to do it. If you have your NI number to hand it takes about 5 minutes to do it on the gov website. Registering and casting one's vote is great because amongst other things it gives one the perfect excuse to make some classic tear-streaked, spittle-soaked rants of I DIDN'T CUNTING VOTE FOR THIS when the Conservatives sodomise Jez next month. Yes I hope that won't happen too but we need to be realistic here.

Lib dems are just absolute mutants. You can trust their leadership about as far as you can throw Kim Jong-un. Still, policy-wise there's not that much to argue with. I would like if somebody could dissuade me from voting lib dem, but the other options aren't looking great either. It's kind of a pity that the Scottish Jacobite Party doesn't exist anymore but conversely this is a fairly serious election so I don't hugely want to throw my vote away on some nutters.
Iakobus1 wrote:

Starky
Confirmed Fertile

Postby Hamwise » Wed May 10, 2017 10:49 am

Huh; TLDR. Thanks for that, I was originally under the impression you could only register to vote in the UK. I realized you could vote while overseas, but figured only if you were already registered.
#MakeBMGreatAgain

New Zealanders have lapsed "into a lack of passion bordering on inertness". If a New Zealander feels a bout of passion coming on, "he goes and paints a roof". (Gordon McLauchlan)
Hamwise

Postby Starky » Wed May 10, 2017 10:59 am

Takes a minimal amount of time to do it online but you need your NI number and some other basic info like where you were registered to vote before you left. I registered initially for the EU referendum. Each year they'll send you emails 3 months before your registration lapses to remind you to renew it, but don't bother with email, just do it on the gov website. I re-registered about a fortnight ago and it took me all of 2 minutes after I found my NI number.
Iakobus1 wrote:

Starky
Confirmed Fertile

Postby Hamwise » Wed May 17, 2017 9:54 am

I've had a change of heart owing to reflecting on two main points; the suspiciously overwhelming amount of anti-Corbyn rhetoric spewing from just about every news/media/business source (including the innumerable utterances of the new buzzwords of the day, in no particular order: strong, stable, chaos), plus Labour's genuinely good, or at least highly appealing (IMHO) new manifesto. However, recent polls suggest Labour won't have a single seat in Scotland come June..
#MakeBMGreatAgain

Hamwise

Postby Starky » Thu May 18, 2017 11:28 pm

I completely agree with you. I'd pretty definitely vote Labour again if they had a chance of winning East Dumbartonshire. Fact is, though, they don't. If you look at the stats and consider popular opinion, in practice you've got SNP or Lib Dems where I'm registered. Both are going to be basically protest parties at Westminster but at least with the Lib Dems they're less of an IndyRef 2 protest party.

That said, it's almost certainly not too late to register to vote. If Labour has any chance of winning where you were last registered to vote, it's your civic duty to register and vote to send yon Thatcher clone to Bluff Cove without a rifle. My dad received the proxy card yesterday morning in the post, and that's only about 7 working days since I applied. Please do it.

I know it's weird, Starky using the phrase 'civic duty', but this is a bigger election than usual, and even though I suppose I'm an honourary Cypriot now we need to stop the Conservatives turning into UKIP and pummelling the bantermerchant in the street into submission. Qapla'!

(NB I'm not actually saying we should kill Mrs May, Bluff Cove is just a joke in exceptionally poor taste.)
Iakobus1 wrote:

Starky
Confirmed Fertile

Postby Hamwise » Fri May 19, 2017 1:45 am

Oh I did register, don't you worry. But I don't share the same optimism you have about the Tories - they have already turned UKIP, I think. And with it, they've stolen the hearts and minds of most of the English, Welsh and sadly some in Scotland.

My vote does feel in poor taste if not an irrelevance, however - I'm not going to be living through Brexit, or rampant Tory cuts.
#MakeBMGreatAgain

Hamwise

Forum Statistics