This is the forum for music, TV, film and suchlike. Private forms of entertainment are to be taken to random, or just not posted.

How to 'get' beer

Postby Starky » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:14 pm

From Adam's chat in the Counting House shortly before we left, and mainly for his benefit. Anybody though please feel free to chip in if you think I'm talking shite.

People's tastes change over time as they grow. Liking beer is a part of this. If you're given a half-milk frappe with no sugar in Scotland when you're 12, you'll likely hate it. But then if you're 28 in Cyprus during Lent on a hard day, it seems like a godsend. There are many other examples - first taste of BBQ sauce (love it now), first olive (so versatile when you've acquired the taste), durians (it's the smell you need to get over), the list goes on.

Order an Amran of an evening and ready a smallish bottle or can (250-330ml, ice cold) of generic lager - Heineken, Foster's, Carsberg etc are all good candidates, but not Tennent's or Stella - and consume the beer with the curry in decent sips as you would a glass of water. You may find like I did that it tastes not unlike bread and butter in the context. Your first step into a lager world (hohoho). Hop emoji.
Iakobus1 wrote:
smr wrote:This is a thread I wasn't sure was exactly suitable for the "Sports" forum :P

True, but we sadly don't have a "Furious Masturbation" forum.

Brainwave: we should have a "Furious Masturbation" forum.

Jose Mourinho wrote:The style of how we play is very important. But it is omelettes and eggs. No eggs - no omelettes! It depends on the quality of the eggs. In the supermarket you have class one, two or class three eggs and some are more expensive than others and some give you better omelettes. So when the class one eggs are in Waitrose and you cannot go there, you have a problem.

Spoiler: show
Starky
Jeremy Kyle's Illegitimate Son, Soon To Be Emasculated On His Show

Highscores: 6

Re: How to 'get' beer

Postby EMM » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:02 pm

It's funny to think how tastes in alcoholic beverage change.

I remember not liking Guinness. I don't think I could stand a hoppy ale until a couple of years ago. I once preferred white wine to red.

I started drinking first with shitty lager- bud, carlsberg export etc. (not Foster's, never ever) and some JD and coke nonsense. I couldn't touch any of those now. I much prefer vodka and IPAs.

It's like an initiation process before you're allowed into the Magic Circle. I see adults who have never gone past Carling. They must save a fuckton.
Don't be frightened little Magikarp we all like a good steak here, and not a flailing splashing useless malformed pre-Gyarados shitebag.
HOW CAN YOU HAVE YOUR PUDDING IF YOU DON'T EAT YOUR MEAT?
EMM
Woll Smoth

Highscores: 1

Re: How to 'get' beer

Postby Starky » Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:55 pm

The beauty of it is though that you can easily come back to the cheaper lagers and wines still get something out of it having tried the nice ones. That's true of me, anyway. But it does help to be discerning, yes. Quality has a quantity all its own at times. Being in Egypt for five years can help to rosetint your tastebuds certainly.
Iakobus1 wrote:
smr wrote:This is a thread I wasn't sure was exactly suitable for the "Sports" forum :P

True, but we sadly don't have a "Furious Masturbation" forum.

Brainwave: we should have a "Furious Masturbation" forum.

Jose Mourinho wrote:The style of how we play is very important. But it is omelettes and eggs. No eggs - no omelettes! It depends on the quality of the eggs. In the supermarket you have class one, two or class three eggs and some are more expensive than others and some give you better omelettes. So when the class one eggs are in Waitrose and you cannot go there, you have a problem.

Spoiler: show
Starky
Jeremy Kyle's Illegitimate Son, Soon To Be Emasculated On His Show

Highscores: 6

Forum Statistics