This is the forum for music, TV, film and suchlike. Private forms of entertainment are to be taken to random, or just not posted.

Bond? Bond.

Postby Starky » Fri Jan 30, 2015 2:33 am

giant spoilers if you've not seen the Connery films

Bond isn't "serious", so I thought to start a new thread. Tongue's firmly in cheek and it's extensively parodied, but the latter point goes to show how much of an impact the man in the dinner suit has had.

Goldfinger - 1964

This is sacrilege to Bond fans, yes - but I just don't like it.

The plot's weird. Two girls get killed for their associations with Bond in the first bits of the film. Too much gadget-stuff. Bond plays GOLF??!?!?!?!?!!!?? Goldfinger is an altogether forgettable and unmenacing villain. Pussy Galore's Flying Circus?

I suppose it's a product of its time and we need to remember that, but still, I'm really not into it. It takes the absurdity to a really excessive level. For me this is the weak link of the Connery/Lazenby era.

Probably would watch again on the 2nd of January if there wasn't else on, but that's about it. 3/10.

What epitomises the early Bond period? I'll get back to you on that one.
Iakobus1 wrote:
smr wrote:This is a thread I wasn't sure was exactly suitable for the "Sports" forum :P

True, but we sadly don't have a "Furious Masturbation" forum.

Brainwave: we should have a "Furious Masturbation" forum.

Jose Mourinho wrote:The style of how we play is very important. But it is omelettes and eggs. No eggs - no omelettes! It depends on the quality of the eggs. In the supermarket you have class one, two or class three eggs and some are more expensive than others and some give you better omelettes. So when the class one eggs are in Waitrose and you cannot go there, you have a problem.

Spoiler: show
Starky
Jeremy Kyle's Illegitimate Son, Soon To Be Emasculated On His Show

Highscores: 6

Re: Bond? Bond.

Postby Iakobus1 » Sat Jan 09, 2016 9:32 pm

Starky wrote:Goldfinger is an altogether forgettable and unmenacing villain.

NO MR STARK, I EXPECT YOU TO DIE.

I love Goldfinger, but I prefer From Russia With Love. From Russia with love came out in 1963 and Q is already old. I mean, what.

I love James Bond. Moonraker is objectively terrible but one of my favourite films of all time. The immortal final lines contain the single best double-entendre of all time:

M: "Good God, what is Bond doing?"
Q: "I think he's attempting re-entry, sir."
Most Deadly
Mostly Harmless
Iakobus1
KHAAAAAAN!

Highscores: 8

Re: Bond? Bond.

Postby Starky » Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:13 pm

I'm reasonably convinced that From Russia With Love is the ultimate. Dr No and You Only Live Twice are still great, though. Moonraker... well... hmm.
Iakobus1 wrote:
smr wrote:This is a thread I wasn't sure was exactly suitable for the "Sports" forum :P

True, but we sadly don't have a "Furious Masturbation" forum.

Brainwave: we should have a "Furious Masturbation" forum.

Jose Mourinho wrote:The style of how we play is very important. But it is omelettes and eggs. No eggs - no omelettes! It depends on the quality of the eggs. In the supermarket you have class one, two or class three eggs and some are more expensive than others and some give you better omelettes. So when the class one eggs are in Waitrose and you cannot go there, you have a problem.

Spoiler: show
Starky
Jeremy Kyle's Illegitimate Son, Soon To Be Emasculated On His Show

Highscores: 6

Forum Statistics