This is the forum for music, TV, film and suchlike. Private forms of entertainment are to be taken to random, or just not posted.

FILUMS

Postby Starky » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:12 am

It's probably been attempted before, but I'm trying it again.

ITT: sensible and thought-provoking (i.e. not the Expendables, the Transporter, Top Gun, etc) and/or thought-provoking films and reviews/thoughts thereof.

----------

Farinelli (1994)

I suppose I'm biased in my judgment here because I love Baroque music, and especially Handel. This combined with foul language, some violence and an alright amount of tits had me sold before I watched it.

Seriously though, I like this film a lot. It gives you a bit of a sense of what a castrato might have had to go through: the health problems, the fame, not having babies, the weirdos you meat, stuff like that. The acting can be stunningly melodramatic, and yet the music really great:

It's not too long. Not too many long pauses without dialogue. Some acting gems fairly often. Manages to hold interest all the way through. Quite anachronistic and very historically inaccurate, but I don't really care, the dialogue's great, and nobody's going to get it if it's written in 18th century Neapolitan/whatever. 8/10 - strongly recommended. Favourite bit: when the brothers meat for dinner and an altercation after Farinelli has sung "Son Qual Nave"

----------

Das Boot - 1981

You really just need to see it.

I imagine it's a bit like the Marmite adverts. You might absolutely despise it, or think it's a great film. Gives you a sense of what it might have been like on a submarine, even though the acting has a fair bit of melodrama to it at times. Goes on for a very, very, very long time - about 3h20. If you can watch it all in a onner it'd probably be great, but I've never had the time yet. There is a way, though, of conveying even in that comparatively short time compared with the month-ish at sea of the characters the witless boredom of inaction with the delirious, frenetic activity of contacts. Socially very accurate (you might notice that most of the crewmen have very distinct accents), but mechanically not so. I don't really care on the latter point, it's a sacrifice we make for the suspense.

Personally I think the anti-war theme is very much preserved (although I've not read the book), although I'm not going to ruin it for you by explaining why for if you've not seen it.

I'd say you just need to torrent it ASAP and get it watched. 9/10 - must see. Favourite bit: (big spoiler unfortunately)

PS this was in the IMDB top 250 last time I checked, so maybe it's not just me.

----------

Agree? Think I'm a complete philistine? Tell us what you think! Or review/consider any other film.
Iakobus1 wrote:
smr wrote:This is a thread I wasn't sure was exactly suitable for the "Sports" forum :P

True, but we sadly don't have a "Furious Masturbation" forum.

Brainwave: we should have a "Furious Masturbation" forum.

Jose Mourinho wrote:The style of how we play is very important. But it is omelettes and eggs. No eggs - no omelettes! It depends on the quality of the eggs. In the supermarket you have class one, two or class three eggs and some are more expensive than others and some give you better omelettes. So when the class one eggs are in Waitrose and you cannot go there, you have a problem.

Spoiler: show
Starky
Jeremy Kyle's Illegitimate Son, Soon To Be Emasculated On His Show

Highscores: 6

Re: FILUMS

Postby smr » Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:05 pm

Right, it won't be a thought provoking review but it is heartfelt.

Frozen (2013)

Eoghan needs to watch this. It's on /mirror, he knows this.

That aside, there's a lot of criticism out there talking about how it's Disney's most feminist movie ever and so on. I think the sister thing is sweet, I can relate to having a sister and so on but that never really featured into my watching of the movie. I thought it was a fantastic movie full stop. It's one of the first times in forever that I watched a movie, thought to myself "that was really remarkably good" and watched it again. Literally hitting space to restart the video after it ended. I think Kristen Bell pulls off a turn that I didn't think she could in it. I think the snowman is very funny and his song is the darkest shit I have ever heard. Spoiler: the twists really work for me. It's got everything.

I think one of the stand out movies of the 10s so far.
I am either ridiculously impressed with voice recognition or completely baffled.

"Dive Source SCUBA Watersports" Did you mean, Dinosaurs School for Watersports?

No. But please take me there, smartphone.

We see this kind of shit in Wales all the time.

I like this. I like how you handled this. You could've come right out and been "Some guy cunted that sheep," but you went subtle.
smr
Suitably heroic

Highscores: 2

Postby EMM » Fri Oct 17, 2014 9:04 pm

The Lives of Others
Don't be frightened little Magikarp we all like a good steak here, and not a flailing splashing useless malformed pre-Gyarados shitebag.
HOW CAN YOU HAVE YOUR PUDDING IF YOU DON'T EAT YOUR MEAT?
EMM
Woll Smoth

Highscores: 1

Postby Starky » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:24 am

Guns at Batasi - 1964

It happened to come on to Sky Classics or something at Dark O'clock in the first week of January so I thought "why not, it's Richard Attenborough, let's just watch it, it might get a 5."

But it surpassed that. Of the "war for dying influence in former colonies" genre, I think this has to be the best example I've yet seen: themes include loyalty, patriotism, order, duty, racism and disillusionment. You should watch it. Richard Attenborough is the highlight as the order-barking, anal-retentive RSM, but all the other cast put in a great showing too. Not terribly long (about 1h40). Torrent it and see what you think, you might be very surprised like I was.

8.5/10
Iakobus1 wrote:
smr wrote:This is a thread I wasn't sure was exactly suitable for the "Sports" forum :P

Jose Mourinho wrote:The style of how we play is very important. But it is omelettes and eggs. No eggs - no omelettes! It depends on the quality of the eggs. In the supermarket you have class one, two or class three eggs and some are more expensive than others and some give you better omelettes. So when the class one eggs are in Waitrose and you cannot go there, you have a problem.

Starky

Postby Starky » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:35 am

I suppose, Steveo, when I say "thought-provoking" I'm just trying to rephrase "serious" to some extent. Your take on Frozen is really good here. We should all watch Frozen more.

Anyway, we can make a separate thread for shitty action films if there's the demand for it.
Iakobus1 wrote:

Starky

Postby Starky » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:06 am

The Third Man - 1949

I had seen it a couple of times part of the way through when I was much younger, but only last week thought to give it a serious watch because it's meant to be really good. Which I think it is, just not necessarily for the same reasons as commonly stated.

Orson Welles I don't think is really all that. But maybe it's just that his style of acting hasn't aged all that well. I think the real highlight, acting and lines-wise, is Trevor Howard as Major Calloway ("It wasn't the German gin...", etc).

Camerawork and music are great. Director loves his dutch angles but doesn't overdo them and manages to get it right. I like the lighting. The music (zither only I think) can be a bit weird at times, but mostly spot on and really adds to the suspense.

The plot is a bit convoluted and it does seem to leave a few loose ends, but still it's gripping. Watching a film noir without getting bored (on the contrary, I was pretty hooked most of the way through) is pretty unknown for me. The only lowlight is the extended chase through the sewers with the strange footstep noises which I think gets milked a bit much.

8/10
Iakobus1 wrote:

Starky

Postby Starky » Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:15 am

Blade Runner - 1982 (Final Cut, 2007)

I annoyed you about this on Whatsapp a few weeks ago when first watching it seriously beginning-to-end as an adult and have done so again this week to confirm my conclusions. I watched the Final Cut, which according to IMDB and Wikipedia is the only version over which Ridley Scott had complete editorial control.

You probably just need to watch it if you haven't already as an adult.

What appeals to me most immediately is the sort of nouveau-film-noir cinematography and how light is used in various scenes almost as if to make each image its own work of art. "The plot's full of holes" you say, well, maybe, but who cares. It's not so much about that. Particular highlight is Rutger Hauer. He is a complete beast in this film. A truly menacing and terrifying film villian, which I think is a pretty rare thing - I'd especially note the very brief shot of him going down in the lift after (intense spoiler) in the Tyrell building. Hauer portrays the personality and actions of an organised complete nutcase in a truly amazing way.

Harrison Ford as Deckard I'm not mad on, but this is a fairly minor point.

Must watch (and would watch numerous times again probably) - 9/10
Iakobus1 wrote:

Starky

Postby Starky » Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:25 am

Insurgent, the second film of the Divergent trilogy, came out in March. Anybody seen it? Any good?
Iakobus1 wrote:

Starky

Postby Starky » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:03 am

The Divergent Series: Insurgent - 2015

It's pretty good. It follows on from the first one, Divergent, so I think you need to have seen that first for this to make much sense.

A lot of the critics (and general cinemagoers who've written reviews) seem to have excessively high standards even in the "young adult dystopian action" genre, which I think is unfair given the rationale and target audience for these films. I don't think they're designed to be scrutinised or studied in any but superficial detail. Put Divergent or Insurgent on, watch, be entertained, don't think too much. It's that simple: plot's fairly uncomplicated assuming you've seen the first one, plenty of people getting beaten up etc, reasonably fast-paced. Does the job pretty well. Production value high. Special effects really good (better than the first one).

I think it definitely gets taken beyond the level of decent unremarkable film, though, by Jai Courtney as Eric. Uniquely for the genre we have a really malicious, threatening portrayal of an antagonist. Courtney is great in this film. You should also check out Spartacus (season one) and Terminator: Genisys for some of his other work: his portrayal of the villain in the Divergent series is so different from his other roles that I didn't recognise him until I looked up who it was playing Eric. Nick Cage he ain't.

Insurgent is worth watching - 7/10
Iakobus1 wrote:

Starky

Postby Amps » Mon Nov 09, 2015 1:21 am

Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope - 1977

- Reliance on well-known actors. Questionable use of deceased actors

- Noteable lack of easily-relatable, non-human human trafficker in a guardianship role to protagonist

- Cantina song isn't consistently played as an undertone throughout the movie. Use of John Williams' score masks environmental sounds

+ Excellent use of "Moff" in a position of authority

Most prophetic quote: "But I was going into Toshy station to pick up some power converters!"

1/10^6 - A first step into a larger world. Has potential
ImageImage
Amps
Generic Alan Pentology Fan

Highscores: 8

Next
Forum Statistics