This is the forum for music, TV, film and suchlike. Private forms of entertainment are to be taken to random, or just not posted.

Re: Cooking/baking

Postby Starky » Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:51 am

You should also try beer-battered prawns. Supermarket value small prawns: defrost in a pot of cold water for a few minutes, batter up as above and fry in fairly small batches until golden brown. Yummy.
Iakobus1 wrote:
smr wrote:This is a thread I wasn't sure was exactly suitable for the "Sports" forum :P

True, but we sadly don't have a "Furious Masturbation" forum.

Brainwave: we should have a "Furious Masturbation" forum.

Jose Mourinho wrote:The style of how we play is very important. But it is omelettes and eggs. No eggs - no omelettes! It depends on the quality of the eggs. In the supermarket you have class one, two or class three eggs and some are more expensive than others and some give you better omelettes. So when the class one eggs are in Waitrose and you cannot go there, you have a problem.

Spoiler: show
Starky
Jeremy Kyle's Illegitimate Son, Soon To Be Emasculated On His Show

Highscores: 6

Postby Starky » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:07 am

Try cutting watermelon rind (skin removed) into small cubes of a couple of centimetres and adding them to the stroganoff on the previous page. It'll take a few minutes longer to cook but the result is pretty good. Watermelon rind is meant to be quite healthy and I love the considerable bargain involved in using as food something that often gets thrown away.
Iakobus1 wrote:
smr wrote:This is a thread I wasn't sure was exactly suitable for the "Sports" forum :P

Jose Mourinho wrote:The style of how we play is very important. But it is omelettes and eggs. No eggs - no omelettes! It depends on the quality of the eggs. In the supermarket you have class one, two or class three eggs and some are more expensive than others and some give you better omelettes. So when the class one eggs are in Waitrose and you cannot go there, you have a problem.

Starky

Postby Starky » Tue Aug 02, 2016 12:48 pm

Fish preserved in olive oil. Recipe: https://books.google.com.eg/books?id=yG ... ne&f=false

I'd like to try this but I'm not especially keen on doing it with generic white fish fillets. I'll let you know if I find salmon.
Iakobus1 wrote:

Starky

Postby Starky » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:12 pm

Try making batter for fish/prawns with Desperados instead of regular lager. Do it.
Iakobus1 wrote:

Starky

Postby Starky » Thu Oct 20, 2016 2:55 pm

Simplified prawn pasta

This is a classic dish which can be simplified fairly easily without killing the flavour. I hit upon Jamie Oliver's recipe for this by chance ( http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/past ... -linguine/ ) and thought that, while it would be delicious, that's an unnecessarily complicated way of making this.

ingredients (four portions or 5ish small portions)

pack of frozen small prawns (supermarket value or whatever's cheap)
c.400g pasta (tagliatelle or linguine are traditional but I think fusilli or penne are fine too; wholewheat/spelt/buckwheat preferred)
salt
olive oil
c. 3-4 cloves garlic, crushed
anchovies
c.100g creme fraiche (or various kinds of yoghurt)
cheap/slightly long-open white wine (rose also ok)
pepper
parsley, chopped
rocket for topping if you want
lemons

method

1. Defrost your prawns in a pot of cool water for about 20 minutes-half an hour.
2. Start your pasta in the usual way; minimal salt in the cooking water because the main sauce is going to be pretty salty.
3. After the pasta's been on for a few minutes, wang a good splash of olive oil in a frying pan and aromatise your garlic for a couple of minutes.
4. Add about 200ml of your wine (maybe a bit less depending on taste), high heat, and bubble for a minute or so.
5. Turn the heat down and stir in anchovies to taste (I'd say most of a small tin, 4-5 fillets, personally), the creme fraiche/sour cream/yoghurt and a good few twists of pepper. Can also add salt if you need to.
6. Reduce for a wee bit, watching the heat to make sure there's no curdling, then add the prawns and cook until just pink (about 2-3 minutes).
7. Hobs off, drain pasta, mix about a handful of chopped parsley into the sauce, then pour onto pasta and mix.
8. Serve on warm plates topped with a bit of parsley/rocket and lemon wedges.

comments

Really easy. You probably wouldn't serve this to a guest you want to impress, but otherwise I think this is a really satisfying meal and a perfect excuse for opening some crisp white wine (not something that happens in these parts too much). Try using Cypriot-style super strained yoghurt for a thick, rich sauce.
Iakobus1 wrote:

Starky

Postby Starky » Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:51 pm

Favoured Roast Drumsticks

This a great one. It's a really easy way to get that juicy, full-flavoured roast chicken we all love and chicken up your veggies at the same time.

ingredients

c.half a kilo chicken drumsticks
generic pasta sauce (from a jar or homemade)
salt
pepper
cumin (powder usually but whole seeds is probably fine if you like)
chili powder
(any other spices you want)
(chicken stock cube if you like)
smallish onion, diced or finely chopped
c.2-3 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 onion, fairly thickly chopped
1-2 tomatoes, sliced
(decent amount according to size) potatoes, unpeeled, fairly thinly sliced
olive oil

preparation

1. In a pot or bigish bowl, mix a good few spoons of your pasta sauce with about a teaspoon each (more or less as your taste requires) salt, pepper and cumin, the finely-chopped onion and the garlic. Watch the chili because you probably don't want it too hot. You can add a chicken stock cube if you insist but I don't think it's necessary.
2. Dunk in the chicken and coat it well in the marinade. Leave for a few hours or, if you like, overnight.

method

1. Preheat oven to mediumish, about 180-200.
2. In a baking tray (pyrex or equivalent seethrough sides easiest for checking progress visually), put a layer of potato on the bottom, then tomato, then onion, then the chicken. Pour the remaining marinade on top. Drizzle with a bit of olive oil.
3. Wang your tray in on the middle shelf. Cook for about an hour, turning the chicken halfway through. Mix the veggies around as well if needed.
4. At the end of the hour, check the potatoes have softened alright-ish (they need to be cut fairly thin for this reason). If not, give it another few minutes, but not too long, you don't want the top to burn.
5. Mix everything up and plate.

Simply a satisfying, hearty dish. If you like your tatties thicker, that's fine, all you need to do is boil them a wee bit first before putting them in the oven.

The end result is a meal in itself to me but if you're very hungry you can also serve it with stocky pasta, vermicelli rice, beans and/or peas.
Iakobus1 wrote:

Starky

Postby Starky » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:59 pm

Easy gingery stir-fry

Make it yourself or instant? It's probably going to be a recurring theme in my next few posts here, but I think this is one example of when the do it yourself version is massively better than the instant one but still not much harder to make. Versatile scran that can be modified however you like; still great in itself, though. You probably also have almost all of the ingredients already.

ingredients (2ish decent portions)

soy sauce, about 20ml
ginger powder, about a heaped teaspoon
garlic, crushed, 1-2 cloves
brown sugar, teaspoon
vinegar (preferably wine or cider vinegar), 1-2 teaspoon
white wine (or rose if you want), about 20ml
wholewheat flour, about a teaspoon
water
mushrooms, sliced/quartered, roughly 400-500g
mixed peppers, sliced fairly thinly, half a pepper of each colour
onion, fairly thinly sliced
noodles
olive oil

method

1. In a smallish bowl, combine all of the ingredients up to the water (about half a highball glass of water) and mix up well.
2. Cook the noodles in your usual way and set aside (unless straight to wok in which case skip this step).
3. Take a bigish pan (doesn't need to be a wok), maximum heat, bit of olive oil, then when it's hot, in goes the pepper and onion.
4. Stirfry for a bit, but don't stir too much.
5. After a few minutes, chuck in your mushrooms and cook in the same way for a bit.
6. When it's nearly done, in with the noodles, mix up the sauce and pour on, stirfry until well mixed and serve.

Just the best gingery, fruity, pleasantly puckery dinner, and it's really easy to do. I'll probably never go back to Amoy or whatever sauce packs. The beauty is how easy it is to change the taste quite radically by fiddling about with the quantities. More fruit? Easy: replace some or all the water with pomegranate or other juice. Too salty? Peanut butter or tahina instead of some of the soy sauce. The possibilities are many, and they all beat super noodles.
Iakobus1 wrote:

Starky

Postby Starky » Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:53 am

Anybody have a good nasi goreng recipe? Steveo?
Iakobus1 wrote:

Starky

Postby Starky » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:18 pm

Easiest kritharaki

No, this isn't difficult either. Traditionally one would boil bone-in whole chicken legs and then cook the orzo/risoni in the stock, but in keeping with my recent theme here we're going to simplify it.

ingredients

1 chicken breast, fresh or frozen, chopped into smallish cubes or slices
c.200-250g orzo/risoni
lard/butter/olive oil
chicken stock cube
pepper
1 smallish onion, finely chopped
c.2-3 garlic cloves
dried mint
dried oregano
dried basil
lemon juice

method

1. Start your risoni in a big-ish pot in fairly minimal cooking water (c.400-500ml for 200g) in the usual way. Stir occasionally throughout.
2. Heat oil (preferably porky lard) in a smallish frying pan over high-ish heat; crush in your garlic, chuck in the onion and aromatise for a minute or two.
3. Crush a chicken stock cube into the risoni and continue to stir occasionally.
4. Chicken into the frying pan, mix up, wang in a good pinch each of dried mint, oregano and basil.
5. When the risoni's done (ideally with much of the liquid absorbed), drain a wee bit if need be and put back on the heat, then bung in the frying pan's contents.
6. Mix up well, good few twists of pepper, taste, top up what you think it's missing.
7. Plate and top with lemon juice; serve with Greek salad and iced tea or a medium-sweet white.

Ready meals, eat your heart out.
Iakobus1 wrote:

Starky

Postby Starky » Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:22 pm

Steveo and James are not off the hook regarding the nasi goreng though btw. Just so nobody forgets.
Iakobus1 wrote:

Starky

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics