Discussion on various video games , consoles or Adam's flaccid, embarrassingly fatuous erectile tissue here. Stories specific to pwning n00bs in games etc. should also be placed here.

Re: The Minecraft thread

Postby smr » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:22 pm

There are NPC villages in the game now since a while ago, but you can trade with them now. They are protected by Iron Golems, which are big neutral mobs which attack zombies. The number of Iron Golems that spawn is dependent on the number of Villagers that have spawned and the number of Villagers that spawn depends on the number of houses they have.

The game automatically generates nice, quite picturesque villages in Desert and Plains biomes which provide a small number of villagers but this is Minecraft and small numbers of villagers is no way to play the game.

You can build high density housing for them:

2012-06-17_15.17.42.png

and that gets you a lot of villagers:

2012-06-17_15.16.40.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I am either ridiculously impressed with voice recognition or completely baffled.

"Dive Source SCUBA Watersports" Did you mean, Dinosaurs School for Watersports?

No. But please take me there, smartphone.

We see this kind of shit in Wales all the time.

I like this. I like how you handled this. You could've come right out and been "Some guy cunted that sheep," but you went subtle.
smr
Suitably heroic

Highscores: 2

Postby Hamwise » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:24 am

So all you need to do is build tiny enclosed rooms with doors in an NPC spawning zone, and more NPC villagers will slowly start to spawn?
#MakeBMGreatAgain

New Zealanders have lapsed "into a lack of passion bordering on inertness". If a New Zealander feels a bout of passion coming on, "he goes and paints a roof". (Gordon McLauchlan)
Hamwise
Michael Lai's Undigested Cookie

Postby smr » Mon Jun 18, 2012 12:46 pm

The wiki says that any 3x3 or larger enclosed space with a door and a roof is counted as a house for villager purposes so I've been building structures like this:

villager house.jpg

which gives me 8 doors on the 3x3 space which I think counts as 8 houses.

I think it's actually for their own good. Every so often the game will send out a zombie siege where zombies will come, break down the doors and attack the villagers. Iron Golems only start to spawn when there are over 21 houses and 18 adult villagers in a village and and you get one iron golem for every 15 villagers. If you did that with standard houses it'd be a sprawling mass and the two or three iron golems could never guard it all. This high density housing reduces the number of entrances the iron golems have to cover to two (two stairwells at either end of the structure) and increases the number of golems in total. You can see I got bored and stopped building the third level but there's nothing stopping you extending that up to the height limit.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I am either ridiculously impressed with voice recognition or completely baffled.

I like this. I like how you handled this. You could've come right out and been "Some guy cunted that sheep," but you went subtle.
smr
Suitably heroic

Postby Hamwise » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:54 pm

This really provides such a new slant on the game. Minecraft is great for this. I used to find NPC villages utterly useless - but it seems they have their use after all. To that end, I present Kamp Ham:

2.png

1.png

3.png

I've built fences for them - to stop them falling down the stairs, to stop them falling off the walkways (they do that a lot), and also to protect them from zombies. Sadly, NPC's don't know how to use fence gates (otherwise they'd be completely immune from the zombie threat), and an over-abundance of fences at the Kamp entrance seriously impedes NPC movement.

You're right; high-density housing is definitely for their own good. Which is why I've taken steps to block access to all standing NPC houses that aren't part of the Kamp. They will be demolished soon. Have to say, I've seen a lot more children bouncing around since I've built this, and the sound of doors hinges (and Slimes squelching) is deafening.
#MakeBMGreatAgain

New Zealanders have lapsed "into a lack of passion bordering on inertness". If a New Zealander feels a bout of passion coming on, "he goes and paints a roof". (Gordon McLauchlan)
Hamwise

Postby smr » Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:59 pm

God yeah, they fall off everything all the time. I was truly impressed with the pathfinding algorithm when I built a spiral staircase and villagers immediately swarmed up it but then deeply unimpressed when they would hop up on my safety ledge and dive off.

There was a weird one, I built an animal paddock next to my high density housing block with fence gates on it. The villagers all went into it and just stayed there (they couldn't get out because of the gate).

That's a good design, how many golems did that generate?

I'm getting to the point of just deleting the door opening sound to be honest. It's horrendous in a big village.

smr
Suitably heroic

Postby Hamwise » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:17 pm

I think I've got about 3 or 4 Golems swarming around. Most of whom just stand by the staircase - which is handy, as that's practically the only way into the Kamp.

It would be a good idea to spend a while extending the camp (I won't do much to extend it upwards as you get into difficulties with staircases), and then simply leave Minecraft running overnight. By the time you wake up, you'll have the makings of a city.
#MakeBMGreatAgain

Hamwise

Postby smr » Thu Jun 21, 2012 11:46 pm

That's what I did too. Just build a pillar and look down. The main bottleneck now is the time it takes for child villagers to become adults.

I think it's worth taking a backup of the world before leaving it running — if the Kamp is hit by lightning (there's more chance the longer the game's running) it may burn down.

smr
Suitably heroic

Postby Hamwise » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:12 pm

This was fun while it lasted. I've developed Kamp Ham to the point that even on a Superflat map, with the entire village destroyed, I feel a major performance hit caused by the sheer number of moving bodies in the area. It'll be playable on most normal laptops, though. One major annoyance is zombies; even with the facility fully lit, fenced off and guarded by Golems, they keep popping up, sometimes even inside buildings. That's what the bed's for.

If you want to explore the Kamp, the map and screenshots (heroically uncropped) are yours to enjoy.

http://imgur.com/a/dSWLy
http://bit.ly/KCNHEr
#MakeBMGreatAgain

Hamwise

Postby Hamwise » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:23 pm

Assorted MC awesomeness.

http://imgur.com/cWBky
http://imgur.com/a/vhpeB#0

This guy managed to create a system which provides heightened night-time security for his base, based on the setting of the sun. How did he manage this? Why, of course - he exploits the instinct of an imprisoned villager to seek shelter at night, combined with a pressure plate and redstone logic. Anything that needs done at the setting or rising of the sun can be accomplished like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3czjkvs ... re=related
#MakeBMGreatAgain

Hamwise

Postby smr » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:40 pm

I have to point out that there's a completely solid bridge over his lava moat.

I think it's a great idea. In fact, it was trying to copy that switch design that led to me doing the villager high density housing. It replaces the previous designs of day night timer which were a) a 10 minute clock using pistons which was incredibly imprecise and big (although it replaced an astonishing 6,000 long delay timer that used redstone) or b) a mushroom based BUD which was hard to reset and needed manually reset each day.

smr
Suitably heroic

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics