Kick back, relax and talk about anything in particular here. Tentacles.

Time limited links thread

Postby smr » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:37 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... d_Branson/

It's utterly, utterly brilliant. Do have a listen within the next 5 days
I am either ridiculously impressed with voice recognition or completely baffled.

"Dive Source SCUBA Watersports" Did you mean, Dinosaurs School for Watersports?

No. But please take me there, smartphone.

We see this kind of shit in Wales all the time.

I like this. I like how you handled this. You could've come right out and been "Some guy cunted that sheep," but you went subtle.
smr
Suitably heroic

Highscores: 2

Re: Time limited links

Postby smr » Tue Mar 16, 2010 3:14 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... g_for_You/

I'm still watching it just now, it's a discussion on the digital economy bill. Louie Walsh makes an appearance as someone who wants you to buy music but he can CUNT right off.

Huh, apparently it's not that time limited at all
Broadcast on: BBC One, 8:30pm Monday 15th March 2010
Duration: 29 minutes
Available until: 8:59pm Tuesday 15th March 2011
I am either ridiculously impressed with voice recognition or completely baffled.

I like this. I like how you handled this. You could've come right out and been "Some guy cunted that sheep," but you went subtle.
smr
Suitably heroic

Re: Too good for the Links thread + time limited

Postby Hamwise » Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:57 am

Stephen Timms, the MP for Digital Britain, deserves death, too.

Wow, a full year of access? By that time, the report will already be made law. Its implications will be quite null and void.
#MakeBMGreatAgain

New Zealanders have lapsed "into a lack of passion bordering on inertness". If a New Zealander feels a bout of passion coming on, "he goes and paints a roof". (Gordon McLauchlan)
Hamwise
Michael Lai's Undigested Cookie

Re: Too good for the Links thread + time limited

Postby smr » Mon Apr 05, 2010 6:42 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... ersecuted/

I'm still watching it, but it's been good so far

Broadcast on:BBC One, 10:50pm Sunday 4th April 2010
Duration:60 minutes
Available until:11:49pm Sunday 11th April 2010

smr
Suitably heroic

Re: Time limited links thread

Postby Hamwise » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:16 pm

It's such a simple concept for a documentary, but is certainly something that isn't explored nearly enough. 30 years ago, this was an almost purely Christian nation. We really are living in a time of immense theological change, akin to that of Muhammad's time, or around the death of Constantine.

Winter Light Night, anyone?
#MakeBMGreatAgain

New Zealanders have lapsed "into a lack of passion bordering on inertness". If a New Zealander feels a bout of passion coming on, "he goes and paints a roof". (Gordon McLauchlan)
Hamwise

Postby smr » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:06 pm

I just think "Winter Light Night" is the sort of thing that you could seriously only invent by committee. It's as if they just couldn't agree on what to name it so they had to boil it down to the very literal basics:

"When does it happen?"
"At night"
"What time of year is it?"
"Winter"
"What's happening?"
"Lights"
"Are you thinking what I'm thinking?"

smr
Suitably heroic

Postby Hamwise » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:42 pm

The sort of people on these committees are young, adventurous and typically not very religious. They have fresh, bright memories of being a kid, and experiencing the joy of Christmas festivals with parents who were Christians, yet simply did not pass down their religion to their children, for whatever reason. Perhaps they just weren't all that Christian, perhaps they were just shit parents with too much work and too many friends, or perhaps they were caught up in the noxious air of liberal, open-minded parenting, expressing the need to keep morality and opinion well away from their own children.

As a result, these crusading young social workers and civil servants see fit the persistence of some sort of token celebration, in respect of something that occurs vaguely around the time of the Solstace that celebrates some sort of provision of gifts and community hospitality, but they never really understood the meaning behind it or what it was for. It just happened, and so it shall continue on happening. The sad fact is, it's these bureaucrats, and not the religious leaders, who make the decisions on how the community will celebrate it.

I think that's the crux of Christianity's decline in the UK. The reluctance of today's parents to just be parents, and pass their religion and ideas on.
#MakeBMGreatAgain

Hamwise

Postby smr » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:01 pm

Well, you have the absolutely insane idea that teaching your children religion is child abuse because they should decide for themselves. This misapprehends how people learn anything (someone teaches them) - are you supposed to refrain from teaching your child English in case it decides to be French?

I was interested to see the trainee RE teachers being unwilling to share their religious experience with children, whereas shouty atheists remain shouty atheists even if they teach RE. And I continue to be bemused that atheists (not agnostics, who know religion and are just intellectually sceptical about it rather than actually disbelieving of everything in the course) would teach RE, what the hell did you possibly think that job would involve?

smr
Suitably heroic

Postby Hamwise » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:26 pm

what the hell did you possibly think that job would involve?

With the rather militant, agonstic trainee teacher on that program, presumably convincing other people also to 'question'. The sad fact is, any militancy, any over-flexing of one's Agnostic ego in a religious class is likely only going to service those, frankly, majority students who feel totally apathetic about the class, and about conviction in general. Being able to sponsor healthy debate in an R.E class is a good thing, but servicing one set of convictions above another certainly is not.

Sometimes, I find it hard to remember that this was one of the reasons I was sent to St. Aloysius. Aside from the excellent education, getting your child to attend it was the surest way of ensuring that your child remained Catholic, in a country where decent, involved Catholic education just doesn't really exist.
#MakeBMGreatAgain

Hamwise

Postby smr » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:06 pm

I remember one of the more candid discussions of discrimination from the perspective of the employer was when a transvestite cleaner applied to work at the school. The school took one look at Catholic independent school and transvestite applying to work there and had to act really carefully in case they were dealing with someone who wasn't very serious about working but was very serious about being a vexatious litigant.

smr
Suitably heroic

Next
Forum Statistics