Kick back, relax and talk about anything in particular here. Tentacles.

Re: Time limited links thread

Postby Iakobus1 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:58 pm

I think the current Greek problem quite likely has more to do with the recent excessive willingness of the EU to lend tonnes of money

Lolwut.

The current Greek problem massively pre-dates the EU's lending.
Most Deadly
Mostly Harmless
Iakobus1
KHAAAAAAN!

Highscores: 8

Postby Starky » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:06 pm

I mean in the noughties when the EU gave money to Greece with its quickly-expanding economy, allowing cheap lending to snowball even more than it had done since the 70s and 80s. Rather than the latest bailout. Recent as in within the last 10-15 years or so. But whatever, don't care, I'm not an economist.

The question 'Why is Greece so fail? (I love Turkey!)' doesn't really matter as of now: 'What are we going to do about it?' is maybe more relevant. Saying random motivational phrases in Turkish and waving red flags with crescents on them as some in the media seem to be doing doesn't solve the problem.
Iakobus1 wrote:
smr wrote:This is a thread I wasn't sure was exactly suitable for the "Sports" forum :P

True, but we sadly don't have a "Furious Masturbation" forum.

Brainwave: we should have a "Furious Masturbation" forum.

Jose Mourinho wrote:The style of how we play is very important. But it is omelettes and eggs. No eggs - no omelettes! It depends on the quality of the eggs. In the supermarket you have class one, two or class three eggs and some are more expensive than others and some give you better omelettes. So when the class one eggs are in Waitrose and you cannot go there, you have a problem.

Spoiler: show
Starky
Confirmed Fertile

Highscores: 6

Postby Hamwise » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:59 pm

Tax evasion, corruption and mismanagement are rife in the Egyptian economy, for example, and Egypt manages to do pretty well for herself.

Yes, but Egypt isn't at the arse-end of one of the strongest and most plentiful currencies in the world. But no, neither of us are well versed enough in ecomonics to fully comprehend the financial innards of a nation, so :BTT:

Lol, I love the idea of Greece's tenuous standing in the current Eurozone being the product of a Turkish conspiracy.
#MakeBMGreatAgain

New Zealanders have lapsed "into a lack of passion bordering on inertness". If a New Zealander feels a bout of passion coming on, "he goes and paints a roof". (Gordon McLauchlan)
Hamwise
Michael Lai's Undigested Cookie

Postby Starky » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:10 pm

Well said, that's my point basically, it's probably not a good idea to go off on one about something one doesn't know much about.

When I go on Sufi internet forums looking for rare Hadiths I inevitably find popular topics filled with expat Turks talking about the Eurozone crisis, it's basically an excuse for people called Mehmet to ejaculate profusely as they type loads of exclamation marks and smileys. And news items often seem to be comparing Greece and Turkey economically which I think is retarded. These just kind of get on my tits so I do a bit of satire. Poorly.

That said, to be honest I wouldn't be surprised if some group of disillusioned neofascist Anatolian teenagers tried to claim responsibility for the whole thing as if it were a conspiracy as you say.

But fair point. I'll stfu now.
Iakobus1 wrote:
smr wrote:This is a thread I wasn't sure was exactly suitable for the "Sports" forum :P

Jose Mourinho wrote:The style of how we play is very important. But it is omelettes and eggs. No eggs - no omelettes! It depends on the quality of the eggs. In the supermarket you have class one, two or class three eggs and some are more expensive than others and some give you better omelettes. So when the class one eggs are in Waitrose and you cannot go there, you have a problem.

Starky
Confirmed Fertile

Postby Iakobus1 » Tue Nov 08, 2011 9:09 pm

Starky wrote:I mean in the noughties when the EU gave money to Greece with its quickly-expanding economy, allowing cheap lending to snowball even more than it had done since the 70s and 80s. Rather than the latest bailout.

My bad.
Most Deadly
Mostly Harmless
Iakobus1
KHAAAAAAN!

Highscores: 8

Postby Starky » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:53 pm

I'M STARKY AND I LIKE HAVING INTERNET DEBATES ABOUT THE EUROZONE

I joke about that, but it's also actually kind of true. What have I become?! Answers on a plain postcard.
Iakobus1 wrote:

Starky
Confirmed Fertile

Postby smr » Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:38 am

Timewatch - Dam Busters: The Race to Smash the German Dams
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... rman_Dams/

James Holland presents a fresh analysis of the legendary 1943 Dam Busters raid, a low-level night mission that took 19 Lancaster bombers deep into the heart of enemy territory to destroy German dams with a brand new weapon - the bouncing bomb.

Of the many extraordinary things about the Dams raid, the biggest is that it almost never happened. When finally green lit, it set off an incredible race against time to form and train a new squadron. Their mission was to deliver a weapon that did not yet exist.

Unprecedented by any scale, and even more remarkable because the crews were not the experienced elite that legend sometimes suggests, Holland believes this truly is the greatest raid of all time. Yet, whilst arguing that the true impact of the successful raid has been underestimated, he also sets out to investigate whether the results should have been even greater.

Broadcast on
BBC Two, 9:00PM Tue, 8 Nov 2011
Available until
7:59PM Sat, 19 Nov 2011

Absolutely fascinating. The letters are particularly amazing.
I am either ridiculously impressed with voice recognition or completely baffled.

"Dive Source SCUBA Watersports" Did you mean, Dinosaurs School for Watersports?

No. But please take me there, smartphone.

We see this kind of shit in Wales all the time.

I like this. I like how you handled this. You could've come right out and been "Some guy cunted that sheep," but you went subtle.
smr
Suitably heroic

Highscores: 2

Postby smr » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:59 pm

http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/national ... 317&a=1664
3.8kg Mega Mix Tub of Retro Sweets for £20 from Swizzels Matlow (67% Off)

Oh jesus yes
I am either ridiculously impressed with voice recognition or completely baffled.

I like this. I like how you handled this. You could've come right out and been "Some guy cunted that sheep," but you went subtle.
smr
Suitably heroic

Postby smr » Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:38 pm

Money - 1. Who Wants to be a Millionaire?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... llionaire/

Kind of a tragic documentary really. It's a lot of people spending a fuckton of money (literally thousands of pounds a seat) they don't have on courses that promise to help them make money. The people selling the courses looked absolutely minted, obviously, but the people buying the courses just look like they're getting badly scammed.

smr
Suitably heroic

Postby smr » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:48 am

Paintball Experience For Up to Ten With 100 Paintballs and BBQ Lunch Each for £10 at Major Day Paintball (Up to 93% Off)
http://www.groupon.co.uk/deals/glasgow- ... _44&a=2759

Now, I have to say that the £1 a head issue puts this into it's a trap territory for me but if it's not an excuse to get people into the woods for SAW VII then that's awesome deal.

Ends tonight.

smr
Suitably heroic

PreviousNext
Forum Statistics