Kick back, relax and talk about anything in particular here. Tentacles.

Forum game: Grim facts

Postby smr » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:59 pm

The grimmest thing I have learned today is that the survival rate of railway suicides is 10%.

The second grimmest thing is that the love heart symbol (♥) meaning love etc is based on the shape of the seeds of an abortifacient plant used by the Romans and Egyptians.

Joseph Stalin banned the lobotomy on human rights grounds it was against the principles of humanity in 1950. No one else thought it was a problem.
I am either ridiculously impressed with voice recognition or completely baffled.

"Dive Source SCUBA Watersports" Did you mean, Dinosaurs School for Watersports?

No. But please take me there, smartphone.

We see this kind of shit in Wales all the time.

I like this. I like how you handled this. You could've come right out and been "Some guy cunted that sheep," but you went subtle.
smr
Suitably heroic

Highscores: 2

Re: Forum game: Grim facts

Postby Hamwise » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:14 am

You know, there was a survey conducted on men living in South African townships (read, slums). Apparently, with this survey conducted anonymously, 3 out of 4 men admitted to having raped a woman in their lifetimes at least once. And they wonder why the national HIV rate in South Africa was 30% in 2005.
#MakeBMGreatAgain

New Zealanders have lapsed "into a lack of passion bordering on inertness". If a New Zealander feels a bout of passion coming on, "he goes and paints a roof". (Gordon McLauchlan)
Hamwise
Michael Lai's Undigested Cookie

Postby smr » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:33 pm

It's quite amazing that with rape statistics that high that a very regularly cited reason for the spread of aids is devout Catholics refusing to wear a condom.
I am either ridiculously impressed with voice recognition or completely baffled.

I like this. I like how you handled this. You could've come right out and been "Some guy cunted that sheep," but you went subtle.
smr
Suitably heroic

Postby EMM » Sun Jan 17, 2010 3:25 pm

The grimmest thing I have learned today is that the survival rate of railway suicides is 10%.

I would say a 90% success rate is quite impressive.
Don't be frightened little Magikarp we all like a good steak here, and not a flailing splashing useless malformed pre-Gyarados shitebag.
HOW CAN YOU HAVE YOUR PUDDING IF YOU DON'T EAT YOUR MEAT?
EMM
Woll Smoth

Highscores: 1

Postby smr » Sun Jan 17, 2010 4:22 pm

Yes but that means that 1 in 10 people survive being run over by a train, they survive but that does not mean they escape unscathed. To quote the baddie from the much inferior Disney channel sequel to Aladdin - you'd be surprised what you can live through.

smr
Suitably heroic

Postby Hamwise » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:28 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_st ... _countries

The above is a Wikipedia article detailing certain criteria in the world where a nation is the 'world leader' in something.

It's a pretty interesting read. Australia comes off as per its stereotypes - a nation that loves sport and has a lot of raw materials. China likes farming, raw materials and has quite a few people. The Scandinavian nations just win at everything, really. But a quick glance at what Zimbabwe does well is pretty depressing/entertaining:

Highest unemployment rate, 90% of population
Lowest GDP (PPP) per capita, 200 Int. $
Worst GDP (real) decline, -14.10%
Lowest environmental happiness according to Happy Planet Index, score of 16.6
Highest annual inflation rate, 11,200,000.00%
Highest central bank interest rate, 975.00%
Highest commercial bank prime lending rate, 578.96%
Highest public debt as percentage of GDP, 241.20%
Worst industrial production decline, -14.70%
Lowest level of innovation according to Global Innovation Index, score of -1.63
#MakeBMGreatAgain

New Zealanders have lapsed "into a lack of passion bordering on inertness". If a New Zealander feels a bout of passion coming on, "he goes and paints a roof". (Gordon McLauchlan)
Hamwise

Postby smr » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:58 pm

That inflation rate is eye popping. Tens of millions of per cent annual inflation rates are something I find difficult to even comprehend. It works out as average prices going up by 1% every three seconds or so.

smr
Suitably heroic

Postby Hamwise » Sun Jan 17, 2010 7:21 pm

I saw a program about Zimbabwean supermarkets. They were almost entirely empty, and had to keep updating their prices every couple of hours to reflect the rate of inflation. Some customers were therefore unable to purchase what they needed since they had simply brought too little money too late.
#MakeBMGreatAgain

Hamwise

Postby Hamwise » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:22 pm

Did you know Northern Ireland is the only country on Earth without its own flag? Assuming that a country can form a part of a single sovereign state, that is. It simply uses the Union Jack.
#MakeBMGreatAgain

Hamwise

Postby smr » Sun Jan 24, 2010 3:42 pm

That's not necessarily a particularly grim fact, it's just a result of it being a modern creation by partitioning an existing country into two. It really just shows that Northern Ireland was always part of the UK, rather than its own country at some point.

The International Space Station has 100 laptops and faster internet than rural parts of the first world.

Byte for byte it is 300x cheaper to send data by the Hubble Space Telescope than by SMS

smr
Suitably heroic

Next
Forum Statistics